In these days of tight budgets, it can be a struggle to cope with unexpectedly high fuel bills. But you don’t have to struggle alone – there are things you can do to reduce your energy costs. These are our top tips:
- First you have to identify the problem – are you spending too much? The latest household survey shows that the average weekly spend on fuel and light is about €35.35.
- If you are spending too much, you need to figure out what is costing you so much. Do a quick audit of e.g. what burns up the most electricity. You can use an appliance calculator – like this one from Electric Ireland – to work out the costs.
- Switch suppliers – shop around for your coal, oil, gas and electricity and keep an eye out for special offers. Don’t forget to switch back if your old supplier now has a better offer…..
- Cut back – energy saving will cut bills but can be hard to maintain. Here are some easy habits to start:
- Switch appliances off rather than leaving them on Stand By
- Wash clothes at 40c – better again… “if it’s not dirty was at 30!”
- Only put on the washing machine or dishwasher when they are full
- Don’t fill the kettle to the top each time – just boil what you need
- Here’s a fuller list
If you need any help or advice with managing your household budget and planning your family finances into the future, just call us on 074 9321420 or email email@example.com to arrange a free consultation.